Zurich bomb squad defuses device

Pixabay

The Zurich police bomb squad disarmed a device last week they described as viable.

It was sent in the post to a Turkish community group based in Rümlang. 

The head of the group, Seref Yildiz, says he immediately suspected the package and called the police. The area was cordoned off and the building evacuated. 

The group is close to the Turkish government and it’s suspected the Kurdistan Worker’s Party, the PKK, is responsible. They’re calling for those responsible to be tracked down as soon as possible. 
 

More from Bitesize News

  • Big tax changes ahead

    Switzerland's decades old marriage tax penalty will finish on 1st January 2032, the Federal Council has confirmed

  • Geneva border villages protest

    Residents of two Haute-Savoie villages have said the stench from a nearby agricultural methaniser has become unbearable

  • Swiss Post cuts

    Swiss Post has confirmed 40 job cuts and 20 contract changes in its IT division after negotiations with the union Syndicom

  • Paleo opens public survey

    Paleo Festival is asking you to help build the line up for next year

  • Cooler weather on way

    After weeks of hot, dry weather we are now expecting lots of rain through Thursday and Friday

  • Migros Expanding In Healthcare

    Medbase, the retailer's medical arm, has bought the Ardentis chain of dental clinics from British investor Columna Capital

Download our app

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play